The LDSA's research focuses on applied demographic analysis and population projections, and, especially in the analysis of demographic developments
in Greece and in the Balkans, the spatial dimensions of population change in Greece (see internal mobility), the analysis of migration and refugee flows
as well the impact of economic crisis on demographic components in Greece and in other southern European countries.
Research Projects from 1999 up to date:
Participation in the implementation of the project “Territorial and Urban Potentials connected to Migration and Refugees Flows” (ESPON EGTC), 2016-2017.
“Projections of the population of Greece on horizon 2050” (assigned by the Greek think tank ΔιαΝΕΟσις), 2015-2016.
- The impact of the current economic crisis on population dynamics in Greece, The Labour Institute of the Greek General Confederation of Labour/ General Confederation of
Greek Workers (INE/GSEE), 2014-2015.
- ITAN (Ιntegrated Territorial Analysis of the Neighbourhoods), Research coordinated by CNRS/EVS, 2013-2014.
- Low fertility, trends and prospective in developed countries. The case of Greece. Greek Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religious Affairs
(Heraclitus II – Reinforcement of the human research potential through the realization of doctoral research), 2011-2014.
- Mortality by cause of death in Greece (1991-2010). A first spatial approach - the Research Committee of the University οf Thessaly, 2011- 2012.
- e-demography- Digital Information Infrastructure for Documentation and Analysis of Demographic Information. Greek Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religious
Affairs – PYTHAGORAS / Strengthening Research Teams in Universities, 2004-2008.
- Population Ageing in the Western Balkans: Factors, Perspectives, Implications (Le vieillissement démographique dans la partie ouest des Balkans:
prospectives, facteurs, incidences). Transnational Scientific Research Programme with France,General Confederation of Greek Workers, 2007-2008.
- Statistical assessment of TV viewing measurement methods, 2008.
- The demographic profile of the Greek population of Istanbul and the related to them groups, 2006-2007.
- Supporting the Design of Migration Policies: an Analysis of Migration flows between Albania and Greece. Research project financed by the World Bank, 2005-2006.
- The Profile of the modern Greek Woman: a First Spatial Approach. Research project financed by the General Secretariat of Research and
Technology (GSRT) and the Research Centre for Gender Issues, 2003-2006.
- Migrations in the Southeastern Balkans During the Last Decade (“Les migrations de la derniere decennie dans la partie sud-est des Bakans”). Transnational Scientific Research Programme with France - General Confederation of Greek Workers, 2003-2006.
- Thematic Mapping of Non-Income Dimensions of Poverty in Albania Research financed by the World Bank, 2003.
- Documentation of the National Censuses in the EU, EFTA and Candidate Countries. EUROSTAT, 2002-2003.
- Pandora: Digital Demographic Atlas of Greece. General Secretariat of Research and Technology (GSRT), 2001-2003.
- Statistical Assessment of TV Viewing Measurement Methods, 2001.
- Study-Research on the Spatial Plan and Economic Development of the Municipality of Aithikon (2000).
- The Spatial Dimensions of Demographic Developments (1981-1991) in Greece. University of Thessaly, 1999.
In the activities of LDSA post-graduate and doctoral theses have been and are being worked on fields associated with and related to
those that are in the epicentre of the Laboratory’s research activities (demographic analysis and population projections, spatial dimension of
population changes, demographic developments in Greece and the Balkan, impact of economic crisis on demographic components, s internal mobility,
population changes in urban areas, migration flows and refugees).
Databases –Applied Software
LDSA has developed: a) a pilot population-demographic data management software with capabilities for index analysis and calculation,
diagram creation and export with additional processing and printing possibilities, and b) pilot dynamic thematic cartography software.
LDSA disposes demographic databases at national level of both Balkan and EU countries. It has also a demographic data base for Greece at national,
regional and municipality levels as well as digital backgrounds (NUTS 1,2,3,4) for the period 1956-2016. At present, LDSA team elaborates the existing applied
software for demographic analysis and automated cartography.
LDSA is, at the same time, involved in producing educational material (pilot development of new teaching aids in specific fields of study). More specifically:
In the context of the “Operational Program "Education and Initial Vocational Training" for the curriculum reform of the Department of Planning and Regional Development
of University of Thessaly”, it has developed two pilot applications: CARTOGRAFIA (tools for automated cartography) and DEMOGRAFIA (lessons + demographic database + exercises)
that have been distributed to the students of the Department of Planning and Regional Development, School of Engineering.
Moreover, with the aim of supporting the educational process in the course DEMOGRAPHY in the Universities, digital material has been created
(see http://www.demography-lab.prd.uth.gr/Education-gr.asp) which includes lessons exercises, a basic dictionary of demographic terms
(and a French-English, English-French glossary) and selected texts.
In the platform UTH e-Class of the University of Thessaly (eLearning Services), open online courses in Demography are provided (see http://eclass.uth.gr/eclass/courses/MHXA280/).
Finally, a plan is being worked out to create, in the near future, an educational CD-ROM for the secondary schools with the aim of vulgarizing
basic demographic issues and of presenting demographic phenomena and developments in modern Greece.
LDSA has developed and hosts 3 websites:
The first website (www.demography-lab.prd.uth.gr) includes a concise presentation of the Lab, its members, collaborators and activities.
It also includes the applications: a) “Pandora: a Digital Demographic Atlas of Greece” (http://www.demography-lab.prd.uth.gr/DDAoG/DDAoG-gr.htm)
designed in the context of a project financed by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology (online-real time data bases, management,
educational, mapping and visualization tools as well as statistical analysis tools), and b) 2000 round Censuses created during the implementation
of the research project «Documentation of the National Censuses in the EU, EFTA and Candidate Countries» that includes information material population
and housing censuses carried out around 2000 in the EU, EFTA and Candidate Countries.
The second website (www.e-demography.gr) provides on-line digital data and indices on the population of Greece and on its basic demographic components
(mortality, fertility, nuptiality) for all administrative levels in the post-war period. This application also includes:
a glossary of demographic terms, an extensive bibliography database, and, in addition to the presentation of data in tables and graphs,
an automated thematic mapping of them. It fills a significant gap in our country regarding availability of documentation and mapping of
population/demographic data in digital form, and thus constituting an exceptionally useful tool for those involved in the study of
post-war demographic developments in Greece.
The third website (www.demobalk.org) is the site of the International Association DemoBalk; LDSA handles its coordination and provides secretarial support.